Wednesday, February 29, 2012

First post! Homemade Gyoza

My current obsession is Asian cuisine, most notably Thai, Japanese, and Korean. I got a two-layer bamboo steamer for Christmas, and these Gyoza (more commonly known as potstickers) were the first thing I tried to make in it. The recipe ended up making more than 50, and my family of three had finished them before the end of the night. I would definitely consider that a success.

The ingredients, before prep. Clockwise from left to right: won ton wrappers, ground pork, spring onion (also known as scallion), soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and water chestnuts. 


Post-prep. From left to right: whites of the spring onion, garlic, green tops of the spring onion, ginger, and water chestnuts.

The filling, mixed and ready to go. In addition to the prepped ingredients, I seasoned it with salt, white pepper, and a splash of soy sauce. Very simple.

The first batch of potstickers, ready to be steamed. The process of filling them and pleating the edges took me awhile and was a bit messy, but it was definitely worth it.

Ready to be steamed, and then pan-fried in a 50/50 mixture of olive oil and butter.

The finished product, served with traditional-style Japanese sticky rice (I could write a post dedicated to the process of cooking sticky rice correctly, it was quite a learning experience for me) and a classic sauce used for Gyoza that is just a mixture of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar.

                                   







1 comment: